Monday, April 20, 2015

Early Morning Workout

Let's face it, working out is pretty much what it sounds like...work. Even workouts I really enjoy and have fun doing, initially are hard to get myself motivated to do them. I'd rather spend my free time sitting in front of the Tv and catching up on some Tv series. 

One way I manage to get the workout in, is by doing it right away in the morning. This does mean I have to get up earlier than I'd like, but if I sleep in and tell myself I get to it sometime that day, I end up dreading the moment I'll have to stop my daily routine, take the time to get changed, and get myself to my workout. Whether that's in my living room or at some exercise studio doesn't seem to matter, both locations seem super inconvenient when I'd rather just be lazy. 


So getting the workout over with in the morning, starts my day off right. I already feel like I'm having a successful day because I've done something major that is good. Not to mention all those exercise endorphins that get you pumped up and ready to face the day. 




I like to exercise 6 days a week and keep Sundays my day of rest and recovery. I get up at 6 am and walk 3 miles on the treadmill for an hour. I know walking sounds lame, but if I can burn the same amount of calories walking for an hour as I would running for 30 mins, I prefer the less jarring, exhausting workout. Something I can do and still read a book or play a game on my cell phone. If I can enjoy the workout, I'm more likely to keep it up as opposed to trying to kill myself during a workout, not see immediate results, and lose all motivation altogether because it feels like too much effort with little reward.

And when there are those mornings where I really don't want to get out of bed, I just tell myself that all I'm going to do is walk and play Candy Crush, then it doesn't seem so hard, but something I'll actually enjoy. 


After walking on the treadmill, I like to do some kind of weight lifting. Cardio is good for the heart and burns calories and hopefully fat, but having muscles will help your body to continue to burn calories throughout the day, and hey, I like the idea of that. Again, I don't try to kill myself by working out every body part every day. This would get old fast, especially if I didn't feel like I was getting any really noticeable results fast. So I figure, slow and steady wins the race. I do a 2 x 12 reps of weightlifting for each part of my body, switching the focus everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment