Today I read a lesson by a Prophet of the Lord in our days, Spencer W. Kimball. The lesson was titled “Tragedy or Destiny?”. It was about the trials we face in our lives and how they have a purpose. One part I really liked said: “Is there not wisdom in his giving us trials that we might rise above them, responsibilities that we might achieve, work to harden our muscles, sorrows to try our souls? Are we not exposed to temptations to test our strength, sickness that we might learn patience, death that we might be immortalized and glorified? If all the sick for whom we pray were healed, if all the righteous were protected and the wicked destroyed, the whole program of the Father would be annulled and the basic principle of the gospel, free agency, would be ended. No man would have to live by faith”.
Trials are hard. I guess they are supposed to be. But without them, we wouldn’t grow and become something more. The difficulties we face are so hard to comprehend from our vantage point, especially in the moment they are happening. It’s hard not to panic and throw a tantrum about it. But those moments when I manage to remain calm and realize that there is a reason for all the craziness, are the moments I feel most at peace, no matter what challenges are going on, and it’s nice to feel peace.
I like what President Kimball said “In the face of apparent tragedy we must put our trust in God, knowing that despite our limited view his purposes will not fail. With all its troubles life offers us the tremendous privilege to grow in knowledge and wisdom, faith and works, preparing to return and share God’s glory “.
As much as we want to succeed in this life and reach the goals we have set for ourselves, God has a bigger plan for us that he would like us to succeed at and bigger goals that he would like us to achieve. These require a path with a lot more growth to be involved. I hope I can keep calm during the hard times and remember that He is God and knows what He is doing.
Teachings of Presidnets: Spencer W. Kimball Chapter 2: Tragedy or Destiny?

No comments:
Post a Comment