I really like making my own decisions. I like deciding my own destiny. The only problem with that is that life gets in the way. I tend to try to fight unforeseen circumstances with all my might, just to become exhausted and frustrated.
How much nicer it would be to set goals for my life, but also realize this life is a test and I need to be prepared to face all of life's challenges. It would also be nice to pursue paths in life that my Heavenly Father would like me to travel. The direction He puts me on will undoubtedly bring me job, happiness, peace, and fulfillment.
A good way to get that guidance is by following the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Since I'm no expert in this, I look to the experts for help. One of those experts is Elder Richard G. Scott. He is one of the Twelve Apostles on earth today. I read his talk "To Acquire Spiritual Guidance" to get advice on how to follow the Lord's will for me.
The first thing he says is there is no simple technique to receive personal guidance. We need to be patient in the process. Personal growth comes from the struggle to learn how to be guided by the Holy Spirit. When we received the guidance, we received inspiration and also power to follow through with that inspiration.
So I like that fact that it is something we have to learn to do. That we will not be perfect at it right from the start. That the process takes time. Just like walking is a good thing for a baby to learn to do, it doesn't mean they will be good at it the first time they try or that if they fail the first time, they should give up. Instead, be try and try again until we get good at it.
When ideas come to us, we should write them down. It seems so simple, but it's a good point to remember. As good as my intentions may be at remembering something, I always seem to get distracted and completely forget about it, so writing it down is key.
He says that we should pray about the ideas that we have gotten. Also a good idea. I mean, it's hard to differentiate between ideas that are mine and ideas that came from God, so who best to ask if those ideas were the right ones than Him?
Elder Scott says we should ask if there is more we should know and give thanks for the guidance we've received. I know as a Mom, many times I feel like I'm being taken for granted. I do all this stuff for my kids and they live their lives like that's just how it's supposed to be. But when one of them thanks me for helping them or the things I do for them, it makes me feel appreciated and my efforts recognized. I'm sure our Father in Heaven would like to not be taken for granted either.
Elder Scott says that sometimes the thoughts that come to us are general feelings and sometimes they are unmistakable and obvious to the point where you can write them down clearly.
One of the key points he makes is that we need to pray with humility and gratitude. Being humble seems so simple, but really, to tell the Lord that I am willing to take the direction in life He would have me follow rather than continue on the path I feel is right for me, is kind of a hard thing.
I love my Heavenly Father and I know that is a bigger plan for me in this life as far as my progression goes, than the easy path I have pictured for myself. I would like to practice being more humble in accepting His will for me rather than fighting to stay on the path I have envisioned for myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment